This is an incredibly delicious (and easy) recipe for miniature chocolate bars inspired by the ones from elBulli 2005-2011. It has just 4 ingredients and takes maybe half an hour to make.
Chili Chocolate Bars
- 125 grams Sugar
- 2 Tbs Water
- 1-2 grams Aleppo Pepper Flakes
- 225 grams 74% Chocolate
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan.
- Over medium heat bring the mixture to a boil.
- Continuing boiling until a golden caramel forms.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Carefully stir in the Aleppo Pepper flakes and pour the caramel onto a silpat. One gram of Aleppo Pepper flakes will give the chocolates a pretty subtle heat so adjust the amount of pepper to your tastes.
- When it has hardened break it into large pieces and store them in an airtight container.
- Temper the chocolate using the water bath method.
- While the chocolate is tempering mill the caramel to a coarse powder and return it to the container.
- When the chocolate is tempered, open the bag and pour it into the caramel container.
- Fold the two together. Be sure to scrape up the caramel powder lurking in the corners of the container.
- Pour a blob of the chocolate onto a mini-bar mold and smooth it into the forms with an offset spatula.
- Set the filled mold in a cool dry place to set.
- Release the bars from the mold, trim, and serve.
One gram of Aleppo Pepper flakes will give the chocolates a pretty subtle heat so adjust the amount of pepper to your tastes.
This recipe makes enough chocolate to fill three of the little mold that I used. If, like me, you only have one mold you can just float the container back in the water bath while each batch sets up. Be sure to dry it carefully before you open it for the next batch.