Short Rib Eggs Benedict
When I'm not cooking stuff from elBulli 2005-2011 I've been on a sort of Eggs Benedict trip lately. This week I decided to go with super tender sous vide short rib for the meat and replaced the English muffin with potato pancakes.Yield: 2 servings
Calories per serving: Don't ask
Fat per serving: Plenty
Fat per serving: Plenty
- 7 Large Eggs
- 3 Meaty Short Rib Chunks
- 2 Medium Russet Potatoes
- 1/2 Large Onion
- 1/4 lb Butter
- 1 Lemon
- Olive oil
- Seal the short ribs in a vacuum cooking bag and cook in a water bath at 185 F for 12 hours.
- Remove them from the bath, chill in an ice bath and then refrigerate until you're ready to serve.
- Preheat your oven at the lowest temperature available - about 170F
- Peel the Potatoes and onion.
- Grate both onto a clean kitchen towel, then squeeze out as much water as possible.
- In a bowl large enough to hold the potatoes and onion beat one egg, then add the potatoes and onions, season to taste and mix well.
- Warm a large skillet over medium high heat and film with olive oil.
- Form the potato mixture into four pancakes and fry the slowly until golden on one side, then flip and repeat.
- Place the pancakes, covered, in a warm oven.
- Remove the short ribs from the cooking bag and clean them of excess fat, and connective tissue. Remove the bones if necessary.
- Heat a small non-stick skillet on high and film with olive oil.
- Brown the short ribs well on all sides, then place them covered in the oven to heat through.
- Melt 1/4 pound of butter.
- Place two eggs yolks, the juice of the lemon and a pinch of cayenne pepper in a small pan set over simmering water.
- Slowly add the hot melted butter, whisking constantly.
- Continue whisking until the Hollandaise thickens.
- Set the Hollandaise aside covered.
- In a pan of simmering water poach the remaining 4 eggs.
- Set them aside on a clean kitchen towel to drain.
- Remove the short ribs from the oven and gently shred the meat. You want it sort of chunky. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place 2 potato pancakes on each serving plate.
- Top the pancakes with the short rib meat.
- Top the short rib meat the poached eggs,
- Pour a couple tablespoons of Hollandaise over each Benedict.
- Serve immediately.
Finish the Short Ribs:
Make the Hollandaise:
Make the Poached Eggs:
Assemble the Benedicts: